Ask Questions, Get Answers: How to Work With a REALTOR® Before You Buy
By Malcolm Davis, REALTOR® | HomeVets Realty
Buying a home is a major decision, and one of the best things you can do before making that decision is ask questions.
Don't be afraid to ask a REALTOR® questions.
Ask about the buying process. Ask about financing. Ask about neighborhoods. Ask about inspections. Ask about closing costs. Ask about VA loans, FHA loans, USDA loans, or conventional financing.
A good REALTOR® should want you to understand what you're getting into.
But there is another side of the conversation that buyers should understand:
If you're not ready to buy a home, be honest with your REALTOR®.
And if your immediate goal is to rent, that's okay too. Just make sure you're communicating that clearly.
Your REALTOR® Is There to Educate You
One of the biggest misconceptions about working with a REALTOR® is that you shouldn't contact one until you're completely ready to buy.
That's not true.
You can start asking questions before you're ready.
In fact, I encourage it.
If you're thinking about buying in six months, a year, or even longer from now, having a conversation with a REALTOR® can help you understand what you need to do to prepare.
You might need to:
Improve your credit
Pay down debt
Save for closing costs
Build an emergency fund
Learn about down-payment assistance
Talk with a lender
Understand your DTI
Determine what type of loan may work for you
Learn about different Central Texas communities
Prepare to sell your current home
Questions are not a waste of time.
They are part of preparing for homeownership.
Ask the Questions You Need to Ask
When you're talking to a REALTOR®, don't be afraid to say:
"I don't understand this."
That's okay.
Real estate comes with a lot of terminology and paperwork.
You may hear terms like:
Pre-approval
Earnest money
Option period
Appraisal
Escrow
Title commitment
Closing disclosure
Debt-to-income ratio
Seller concessions
Property taxes
Homeowners insurance
You don't have to know all of this before you call a REALTOR®.
That's part of the process.
A good REALTOR® should be willing to explain the process in a way you can understand.
But There's a Difference Between Asking Questions and Being Ready to Buy
Here's where I want to be completely honest.
There is nothing wrong with asking questions.
There is nothing wrong with researching the market.
There is nothing wrong with deciding that you're not ready.
But there is a difference between researching homeownership and asking a REALTOR® to repeatedly perform buyer services when you have no intention of purchasing a home.
REALTORS® invest time in their clients.
That time can include:
Researching properties
Preparing property searches
Answering questions
Scheduling showings
Driving to properties
Preparing market information
Communicating with listing agents
Reviewing contracts
Coordinating inspections
Communicating with lenders and title companies
Negotiating offers
Managing deadlines
There is a lot that happens behind the scenes.
If You're Only Looking to Rent, Just Say So
This is probably one of the most important things I want potential clients to understand.
If you're looking to rent, tell your REALTOR®.
Don't tell an agent you're ready to buy if you're actually looking for a rental.
Nothing is embarrassing about renting.
Sometimes renting is the right decision.
Maybe you're:
New to the area
Waiting for a PCS
Rebuilding your finances
Saving for a down payment
Improving your credit
Between homes
Unsure where you want to live
Not ready for the responsibilities of homeownership
That's life.
Just be honest about where you are.
Why Honesty Matters
Imagine telling your REALTOR®:
"I'm ready to buy."
Your agent begins searching for properties, researching homes, scheduling showings, rearranging their schedule, and preparing to help you make an offer.
Then weeks later, you say:
"Actually, I'm only looking to rent."
That creates a problem—not because renting is bad, but because your REALTOR® was operating under different expectations.
Communication prevents that problem.
If you aren't ready to buy, say:
"I'm not ready to buy yet, but I'd like to understand what I need to do to prepare."
That's a conversation I can have.
Don't Waste Your Own Time Either
This isn't just about respecting the REALTOR®'s time.
It's about respecting your own time.
Looking at homes you can't afford can create unrealistic expectations.
Falling in love with a house before you're financially prepared can be frustrating.
Going through showings without knowing your budget can make the process more confusing.
And constantly looking at homes when you really need to work on your finances may delay the progress you need to make.
Sometimes the best first step isn't a house showing.
Sometimes it's a conversation with a lender.
Get Your Financial House in Order
Before you start seriously shopping, consider talking with a qualified mortgage professional.
Find out where you stand.
Ask questions about:
Credit
Income
DTI
Down payment
Closing costs
Loan programs
Interest rates
Monthly payment
Property taxes
Insurance
You don't have to be perfect.
You just need to know where you are and what you need to work on.
Renting Today Doesn't Mean Renting Forever
If you're currently renting, don't think that means homeownership isn't in your future.
Your situation can change.
Maybe today you aren't ready.
Six months from now, you may be in a completely different financial position.
A year from now, you may have improved your credit, reduced your debt, saved money, or increased your income.
The important thing is having a plan.
Instead of saying:
"I can't buy a house."
Try asking:
"What would I need to do to become ready to buy a house?"
That's a much more productive conversation.
REALTORS® Need to Know Your Timeline
One of the easiest ways to build a good relationship with your REALTOR® is to be upfront about your timeline.
Tell your agent:
"I'm ready to buy now."
Or:
"I'm probably 6–12 months away."
Or:
"I'm just starting to research."
Or:
"I'm currently looking to rent, but eventually I want to buy."
Those answers help your REALTOR® understand how best to assist you.
There is no shame in any of them.
Treat Your REALTOR® Like a Professional Partner
Buying a home is a team effort.
You have the buyer.
You have the REALTOR®.
You have the lender.
You have the title company.
You may have inspectors, insurance professionals, contractors, attorneys, and other professionals involved.
Everyone has a role.
The better everyone communicates, the smoother the process can be.
Your REALTOR® isn't simply someone who opens doors.
They're there to help you navigate one of the biggest financial transactions of your life.
A Message From Malcolm
I want people to feel comfortable asking questions.
If you don't know something, ask.
If you don't understand the process, ask.
If you're worried about your credit, ask.
If you're unsure about VA financing, ask.
If you're wondering whether you can afford a particular price range, ask.
If you're not ready to buy, tell me that too.
I would much rather have an honest conversation with someone who says, "I'm six months away from buying," than spend weeks preparing for someone who isn't actually planning to purchase.
Your time matters.
My time matters.
And most importantly, your goals matter.
The Bottom Line
You don't need to know everything before contacting a REALTOR®.
Ask questions. Learn. Prepare.
But be honest about your intentions.
If you're ready to buy, let's get to work.
If you're preparing to buy, let's create a plan.
If you're only looking to rent, let's be clear about that so everyone understands the goal.
And if homeownership is your long-term goal, let's figure out what steps can help you get there.
The goal isn't to rush you into buying a house.
The goal is to help you become an informed buyer when the time is right.
Ready to Start the Conversation?
I'm Malcolm Davis, REALTOR® with HomeVets Realty, serving Central Texas and the military community.
📍 Killeen
📍 Harker Heights
📍 Copperas Cove
📍 Belton
📍 Temple
📍 Nolanville
📍 Fort Cavazos area
Whether you're ready to buy, preparing to buy, selling your current home, or simply trying to understand your options, I'm happy to have an honest conversation about your real estate goals.
Ask questions. Get informed. Be honest about your timeline.
When you're ready, let's find your next home.
Malcolm Davis, REALTOR®
HomeVets Realty
Guiding You Home
This article is for general informational purposes and is not legal, financial, tax, or mortgage advice. Mortgage qualification and real estate requirements vary based on individual circumstances.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment